Back in May, Tammy and I took a vacation to Europe – this was during my internet blackout which is why none of the photos from the trip have shown up here on the website. We went to Venice, Verona, and Stressa in Italy and Locarno, Zermatt, Grindlewald, Vivey, Bern, and Geneva in Switzerland. A lot of these were short one-day or less stops on our driving adventure. As usual I lugged a fair amount of camera equipment with me on our trip, but I tried to limit myself to one camera per day. This way I didn’t spend too much time messing around with equipment and could grab the shots I wanted and be sure to enjoy the fabulous scenery and company.
One of the cameras I brought with me was my Yashica-mat 124G. It is a bit of a beast to carry on a trip, but I find it is a lot of fun to shoot and really makes me think differently about framing and composition. I have not had it that long, so I am still learning how to “use” it. I brought a few rolls of color film (Kodak Ektar 100) and few rolls black and white film (Ilford Delta 100 and one roll of expired Kodak T-max 100). The T-max 100 has been in the camera half-exposed since the trip, so I decided to shoot the last few frames and develop the film this weekend.
Tammy at the top of the Phinstegg cable-car platfrorm with the Wetterhorn all blown-out in the background. A somewhat unexpected response from the film b/c it should have 7-9 stops of latitude and I can’t imagine I compensated by more than one or two so I would expect the background to not have blown out that much.
The seven or eight shots that were on the roll from our trip were all taken at the top of the Phinstegg cable-car in Grindlewald, Switzerland. I had wanted to try to take a panorama of the Grindlewald Valley. The more interesting/impressive part of the valley was actually behind us because we were at the base of the Eiger. On the far right of the frame is the mountain known as the Wetterhorn.
Seven-shot panorama of the Grindlewald Valley taken with the Yashica-mat on 6×6 film. I decided to do this non-stitched version of the panorama so the process was not lost in the digital post-processing. I think it is much easier to appreciate that this was taken with seven frames of film. There is so much potential resolution here that I could probably print this on the side of a city-bus or two.
And here is the more heavily post-processed version of the above panorama. The difference is that I allowed the stitching program to adjust for perspective and distortion so it warps the photos into a relatively straight image which I then cropped. The frames are also blended together for this one.
Just a note about these photos. I used a roll of expired film because it was what I had on-hand. I have read that expired film can do all sorts of weird things when you develop it. I noticed some strange things about the chemicals as I poured them out of the developing tank; the colors of the decanted liquid were like none I have seen with other films. And overall the response of the film seems to be very low-contrast which is not expected with Tmax. I am fairly sure it is meant to be a high(er)-contrast film. This strange reaction to light is probably because of its age and changes in the emulsion over time. I probably should have developed it for longer to try to get more blacks and contrast, but since I only had one roll I had no way of doing any tests. I think I am going to go back to in-date film.
Thanks for stopping by. If you would like to receive an email when I post new images head on over to the subscribe page and put in your information. You can also follow me on Twitter, Facebook, or Google+.